I’m on a huge tahini kick right now (love it) and have been using it the same way I would use other nut butters. Don’t get me wrong, my love for almond butter is still fierce, I am just in a sesame seed butter phase / maybelifestyle. I love it in smoothies, raw sesame seed butter cups (I’ll post that recipe next), on toast, on a spoon, etc.
The basic version is super easy to make, and the combo options are endless (I just tried a vanilla espresso blend with protein…omg). For the basic butta’ all you need are sesame seeds, a food processor, a pan lightly toast the seeds (optional but suggested), and a little patience while the magic is happening. I’ll share the directions for basic sesame seed butter and the chocolate espresso!
BASIC TAHINI INGREDIENTS:
- 4 cups sesame seeds
- Pinch of salt (optional but suggested)
- equipment – pan to try toast the seeds, food processor to blend ’em up
CHOCOLATE ESPRESSO TAHINI:
- 4 cups sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 tbsp espresso powder
- 1 tbsp honey, maple syrup, or sweetener of choice
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
OPTIONAL ADD-INS (for basic or chocolate espresso):
- Cacao powder
- Espresso powder
- Coconut oil (this is great even in just the regular tahini. Add 2 teaspoons to start)
- Vanilla protein powder
- Vanilla extract
- Honey or Maple Syrup to taste
- Goji berries, other dried fruit
- I mean…..chocolate chips?? Enjoy Life chocolate chunks? 😉
- Toast sesame seeds on a dry pan on medium/high. Try doing 2 cups at a time so that they all get good toasting time and the pan doesn’t overflow. Keep an eye on them and move them around frequently so that they don’t burn. You could make this completely raw by, well, not toasting the seeds. I tried that method and it was good, but the toasted seeds were my favorite.
- Add all toasted seeds to your food processor and blend for 5 – 10 minutes (until smooth)
- For best results make the full recipe, or at the very least a half recipe. I tried making this with just one cup of sesame seeds and it never got as smooth as with the larger amounts.
- At first you might think “This is never going to be smooth!” but trust the process. It goes from kind of a thick paste to super creamy/smooth/pourable – I promise. 🙂
- Once you have the creamy consistency add any of your optional add-ins! So good!!