It’s seriously some sort of wizard-y magic that combining just protein powder, egg whites, and almond milk results in delicious pancakes.
All you need (for a single-serve batch) is 2 egg whites + 1 scoop of protein powder + unsweetened almond milk and you’re set. Of course you’ll also want all the toppings your heart desires (nut butters, cacao nibs, goji berries, fresh fruit, should I go on??). Huge shout out to Tone It Up for introducing me to the joys of protein pancakes. Their recipes/nutrition plans are phenomenal. Additional shout out to a lovely friend for having me over for today’s pancake making adventure.
- 2 egg whites
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (Vega and Sunwarrior are my current favorite)
- Splash of almond milk
- How this is everything I’ll never know. You can also add 1/4 of a banana if your spirit moves you. Try it both ways and see what you like best!
Directions / technique (this part is important)
- Combine ingredients with a fork or in a small blender. I like to mix the batter in the smallest cup of my Magic Bullet blender and then pour the batter right in to the pan.
- Confirm with yourself that the batter is batter-like consistency, as well as batter-that-you-personally-like-like consistency. Add more almond milk if you like thinner pancakes, more protein if you like them thicker.
- Now the important part. Patience. Spray a your pan with coconut oil spray and let it warm up to medium-ish heat. Once it’s warm pour your pancake batter.
- Keep waiting.
- You want to cook your pancake at a slow and steady pace over medium heat. This will help it stay together so that you end up with pancakes instead of pancake scramble (which is also delicious fyi)
- Top your pancakes with everything you can think of and enjoy. 🙂
- PS – these store well in the freezer and are awesome travel snacks