I love almond croissants. Specifically the almond croissants from Lucia’s and whatever kind they sell at Sterling Coffee. I almost cried when I went to Lucia’s last weekend for my most favorite special treat and they had already sold out. I went back earlier the next day and – victory – my friend and I got the last two.
Croissants are obviously not clean kitch-y so I set out on a quest to re-create their glory in some sort of protein-packed form. I knew it had to be possible. This batch of waffles was the result. Only 6 ingredients (including the toppings), no flour/sugar, and super delicious almond-y goodness. Paleo if you don’t add the greek yogurt, so yes.
This recipe is for a single batch. The ingredients are almost identical to my favorite recipe for protein pancakes. If you don’t have a waffle maker then pancake it up!
- 2 egg whites
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (for the waffles pictured I used vanilla Sunwarrior Warrior Blend)
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- Splash of almond milk (to desired consistency)
- 2 TBSP greek yogurt
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 3 TBSP slivered almonds, pan toasted
- Sweetener of choice, optional
- Combine waffle ingredients in the smallest cup of a magic bullet blender or similar sized blender. This is by far the easiest way to mix the batter. You could mix it with a fork instead but the mini blender just makes life so much better.
- Check the consistency of the batter. All protein powders act a little differently when combined with liquids. Some will leave you with a super liquid-y batter while others might be kind of thick. You want the batter to look like traditional pancake batter so add more protein powder (by the tablespoon) if you think looks too thin. I used Sunwarrior for this batch and the ratios were perfect.
- Heat your waffle maker and it’s game on!! Add the batter and cook ’em up.
- If you haven’t pre-toasted your slivered almonds now is a great time to do it. Toast them on a dry pan over medium-high heat while your waffles are cooking.
- Lastly, the greek yogurt topping. Mix your greek yogurt with almond extract and optional sweetener.
- Party time. Stack your waffles, spoon on your greek yogurt topping, and sprinkle with toasted almonds.