Liquid gold in benefit-packed almond milk latte form. YES PLEASE. This cup of deliciousness combines turmeric (all the rage right now), black pepper, cinnamon, almond extract, and fresh ginger with a double shot of espresso. The result is glorious.
I made this for the first time last week after an inspiring talk about spices-with-benefits at alchemy, a super rad gym, and have had one every morning since. The only problem is that now I need one every day forever. 😉 Fairly certain I heard that the combo of these spices is the magic potion for becoming a fierce athletic tiger. Or something along those lines… Ok so turmeric…all the rage, yes?? Tim Ferriss drinks it every morning as part of the routine that helps him win the day, and he rocks at life. For more scientific reasons turmeric rocks check out this post and recipe for Turmeric Milk from Nutrition Stripped (one of my favorite blogs). I’m into it.
The other ingredients hold their own, too, especially the espresso. Cheers <3
Liquid Gold Latte
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- Splash of almond extract
- 3 cracks of a black pepper from a shaker
- Double shot of espresso or 1/2 cup hot coffee
- Two options – blend first or heat first. Choose your own adventure! Blending hot liquid can be kind of crazy in a small blender, but have at it if you’re in the mood. Note below on my favorite appliance to use for this*.
- If you’re blending first, blend almond milk, turmeric, cinnamon, ginger, almond extract, and black pepper in a small blender.
- Heat the blended almond milk combo on the stove, keeping and eye on it/stirring it so that it doesn’t burn. To make things easier you could also just heat it in the microwave. To make it super frothy I used the milk frother mentioned in the note below.
- Pour the liquid gold potion on top of two shots of espresso or hot coffee.
- *If you’re into foam and want a new appliance…the Nespresso aeroccino is the best. It’s seriously one of my favorite appliances and makes it makes the most luxurious foam (to get eyes on it scroll to the last pic here). This magical contraption heats the milk and foams it at the same time which is ah-maze, and makes thickest foam I’ve found.